Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is another common marketing hype - "exposure". What's the use of all these exposure if you end up working crazy hours with piss poor remuneration and get something of doubtful value to convert to high paying cushy corporate job in the future?

Would a bank looking for an accountant be impressed by the fact that you had exposure in another 5 industries? I doubt so. They are looking at people who can deliver and pick up the slack asap. Would a global MNC be impressed with your so called multi industry exposure that they place you ahead of their own grad programs? I doubt so.

Also realistically what sort of exposure can a big 4 junior grunt get being a nomad doing ad-hoc work from 1 company to another?

I am not looking down on big 4 staff per se, just challenging all these common buzz words that are thrown around by recruiters and fresh grads without much corroboration with facts on the ground.

My personal observation is that despite all that hype about the need to 'sacrifice' 4-5 prime years of your life to get a comfy finance job in the future, big 4 'students' don't actually fare better than corporate finance exec direct hires in any meaningful way. If we compare them to big MNCs with MAP, they fare considerably worse off if you compare pay / rank with like for like working year.
Expose to different scenarios. It depends on what you are looking for. If you are just moving into another grunt role in a bank, then the exposure definitely doesn't help. You are better off joining the bank right from the start.

If you are moving into a more senior role where you are expected to provide guidance/advisory on finance matters, the previous exposure and experience helps. Not all finance issues have clear cut solutions or 1 single solution.

That said, I would never join Big 4. The pay is crazy low.