Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2015, 06:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't think any of us really has an answer to this question.

Let's face it. Most of us in this world have to make a living doing things that we don't absolutely love. Lawyers are no different. I wish I could tell you I was passionate about my job, but I'm not. I'm just another paper pusher trying to get by in a harsh, expensive world. My job pays for three square meals and allows for some trappings of luxury, and I'm satisfied.

You seem like you're close to graduation, and if you choose to do something non-law, you do so with your eyes wide open. You'll be forsaking the safety of an industry which pays well above market rate for the wild unknown. If you are confident that you're a smart, enterprising individual who can find a better job or start a successful business, by all means follow your dream.

If however you simply wish to "do something else" because our hard work and long hours seem unpalatable, you'll probably end up disillusioned because there's no free lunch (or in fact, no easy lunch) in this world unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth. Everywhere you go in this country, your employer will work you to the bone. If you're destined to work hard anyway you might as well do law, which at least compensates you for it.
im the original poster of the question. fortunately, i have graduated a while ago and am now an associate in a big 4. i am in an practice area that i hate and am deciding either working in a different practice area in another firm (which means starting afresh and potentially competing with the NQs) or non-law.

i am not against the "hard work and long hours" - if i am, i will probably sit tight and wait until i can move to a cushy in-house job. i just never liked law or the practice thereof and have always wanted to pursue a non-legal career. my question is, since i eventually want to do something non-law, should i just embark on it now or should i nevertheless stay on and get a couple more PQE. in other words, do my PQE make a difference if i want to pursue a non-law career?

FYI, i strongly disagree that associates are paid more than market rates, if you consider our meager bonuses and extremely long working hours. also i guess that i don't want to be, and am not satisfied with working in a sweatshop at the beck and call of partners and clients and doing research and churning advice day in day out. lastly, i don't think it is true that every employer "will work you to the bone"... not in the way that law firms do.