Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i choose to see it differently. i believe that you end up in a private institution like sim or public university like nus because of your personality, and how much effort/work you put into it.

think about it. one ends up in sim, only because he is unable to qualify for a local uni. he is unable to qualify, because he did not put much effort or is not smart enough to enter JC, which limited his chances of making into uni. that said, there are smart people who made it through poly and got a good result from nus.

yes, recruiters dont care much for your degree, but again, its your personality and intelligence that lets you progress in your corporate career. and again, it is the very same attitude towards work that i realise, why one ends up in sim or nus.

I've been working for quite some time, and it is general consensus amongst managers and HRs that local grads while more picky and demanding, are more hardworking and intelligent to survive and climb the corporate ladder, whereas sim people are generally more lazy, but equally picky and demanding. it is the very same trait that explains why they ended up in sim in the first place.
I can see where you are coming from but the main issue here is that you think that the skill sets needed to do well in school (i.e. work hard, rote learning, sit in lectures/tutorials for years, get tested in written examinations after that to regurgitate whatever you have learnt), is the same as the skill sets needed to do well in their career.

Sure, its the people who work the hardest gets past this system. But looking at how much effort a student puts into school before he turns 18 is not really a good measure of how well he is going to do for the rest of his career.

I was a typical lazy student. But I find my attitude towards work is different now. Why? I find work challenging and stimulating. I am given lots of trust and responsibility by my boss. I can see how my efforts help the company. My livelihood depends on my career.

I just never had the same attitude towards school.