Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Unregistered

Default 1268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just had my year work review done this week.
I am a female grad (1st class hons) and finished my PGDE in 2013, and the following are my performance grades.
Had an across the board promotion in 2015.

2013: GEO 1.1 : Perf Grade C
2014: GEO 1.1: Perf Grade B
2015: GEO 1A1: Perf Grade C+

Does anyone knows if these results are typical of a teacher? I haven't been asking around my peers or colleagues as these may be quite sensitive..
Grade C is supposed average for teachers if you don't screw up. It's also hard to go beyond C+ unless you are given some specific duties or high profile posts in the school. Its sad but teaching is seriously less valued than your performance in other areas (unless you come up with some teaching program that can be applied to every class rather than your own students). You need to volunteer for duties or aim to be in the CCA/Comms which are more highly valued (harder work but better rewards). From experience I have realised that if the principal values you highly, its easier to get a better grade. (although you still might have to take up position to earn it. Hey its better than taking up the position and still not being recognised right.)

In the past I had one motto for my teaching career. "MEME" Minimum effort Maximum Exposure. Sad but teaching is sometimes like the army. Super Wayang kind. If you look like you are doing alot (which you may or may not be doing), you get rewarded for it even if others might be doing more without being noticed. The whole performance grading is so subjective that I've given up thinking about it. Life is never fair and harping on it only makes one feel miserable. I teach because I like interacting and guiding students so I figured anything else is a bonus.