Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - career switch
Thread: career switch
View Single Post
Old 31-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Estate Agent

Wink

Hi Dear,

I have been an estate agent for 20 years since 1995.

My honest opinion to you it is never an easy path or option for you to consider this as a replacement of your current salary of $5K.

Yes, we do close deal and secure commission in 5 digits or some even 6 digits. Don't get blinded to earn such good commission without putting much effort and time.

Though you can control your own time and allow you to schedule based on your convenience, however you would realise soon that it is not possible as you would be putting much effort to secure any appointment in order to have a higher hit rate of closing.

Especially now the market is so weak, you would find out that your effort running up and down, marketing expenses would drain you up soon.

In my 20 years, I saw many rookies that make high 6 digits commission annually for a few years. After that, the stamina burst and not easy to maintain continuously such high earning which also partly depending on luck besides hard work.

Should you really consider to be an estate agent, you should plan long term and build up the trust and good relationship with clients and not thinking of your interest first, meaning own commission.

Otherwise you may do very well for 1-2 years and die off soon.

Think seriously about it and don't waste any more time. Once you set your mind to be an estate agent, work hard and all out, don't think that money flowing in would be constant and save to prepare for zero commission for many months.

It is purely for money sake, I bet soon you would give up when you see no deals for months.

Interest and maintaining good relationship continuously with my customers are some of the main reasons that I still hanging on.

Good luck to your next career!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35yearsold View Post
Need some advice.

I'm 35 yr old female, 2 young children. Just quit my job recently, was working full time in art/film/media industry for 11 years drawing a salary close to 5k, no bonus, no OT pay and working pass 10 hrs a day is a norm in this industry, and also asked to work on some Saturdays when project near its due. I have a degree in film/multimedia.

Why do I quit, coz I need a time-flexi job, to be able to pop by house from time to time to check if everything is ok. Long story short, I need a work life balance job. I gave up 8-5 office (or I call it 13hrs not at home) job.

I've been searching around to see what kind job fits me and I am comfortable with. As my field of expertise is niche and there aren't much opportunity for time-flexi work in this field (industry not doing well, talent over supply), I turn to real estate friends, insurance agent friends, MOE teachers, even mlm and they always say very good! Come join me! Especially RES and Insurance. Totally new career but I don't have many more 5 years to try this and that.

Could anyone give me some advice. I'm now undecided between RES, Insurance, teacher. What kind of career will I have in future, lets say next 3-5 years, can I draw a salary of 5k by then?