Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - career switch
Thread: career switch
View Single Post
Old 30-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35yearsold View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice, seriously need some soul searching. I feel pretty wired and insecure without my own paycheck. Can't totally depend on my hubby, he will be so stressed, his salary is just slightly more than me, mortgage to pay off and 5 mouths to feed including mom in law. No maid no car. We've been saving for rainy days. He might get retrenched anytime, his company had laid off 80 ppl pass couple months while my ex company 150 in the course of 3 rounds over some years. You know la, less staff to share on works, the survivors need to take on more responsibilities. We are in the same industry. That's why I need to quit and venture into something different than his. Or we both doomed.
Thought being a teacher would be a good option, I do hear many says very busy. I wonder how busy compared to mine, can reach home by 6pm? Though can return home for lunch if I'm at neighborhood school. My hubby just returned from work at this hour. 9pm. -.-
Sales would be hard work from the start, thick face go around bug ppl, then after some time will be much at ease. Still need to busy sort paperwork, service clients, that's what I got from my friends. Right? Don't think any MNC want to hire me. 0 sales experience. 0 teaching experience, tuition centre sure say no.
I need to start all over, but I only have one shot to do it, not like fresh grad can try here and there. Can't regret after decision is made. Feeling less confident now.
A few things being a teacher you need to know:

1) Can knock off by 5pm usually, but do note that they start at 7am.
2) You are expected to work at home after dinner about 1/3 of the time, i.e. usually marking assignments, working on project papers or curriculum planning
3) You have no annual leave. Most schools will give you 2 weeks in June & 3 weeks in December as rest.
4) Teaching is only 50% of the job. 30% is on admin/CCA and 20% on customer service. Rough estimate, but you get the idea.
5) Medical outpatient is non-existent. Unless you go poly clinic, all private GP visits for you & family MOE only cover $10.

Honestly if the reason you want to quit is you want short and flexible working hours teaching is not really the way to go. Also realistically speaking if you start from scratch I doubt you can get back your 5k in 3-5 years.

My advise to you is talk to your husband and try to get the priorities right. To expect to get a job which has short working hours, flexible timing, yet must get back 5k within few years very unlikely unless you have some special skills or connections in the market.