Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

I see that this forum is being hijacked by Gossip sg presumably because our traffic is among the highest ? Anyway lets not pay any heed to that.

How much money is enough, happiness, saving adequately etc are all very subjective topics. It is very individual dependent.

My wife and I are happy and contented with our present lifestyle and dont see a need to spend more just for the sake of spending our money. For eg, we are very pleased and happy with our two jap cars which are fairly new, reliable and comfortable. We dont think we will derive a higher level of happiness with conti cars. Driving conti cars is just so-not-us.

We are happy with our condo because of the facilities which we use often. Although we could easily afford landed, again we dont think it will make us happier. At our age, climbing up and down stairs is a no-no. So multi-storeys landed are definitely out for us. Condo with full facilities are best.

Different people have different hobbies. For us, or at least for me, my "hobby" is in making my passive income grow. It gives me great joy and satisfaction to see our networth and passive income growing month by month, year by year. I devote my weekends reviewing the investment opportunities. You may not believe this, the money in itself is actually secondary. It is the process, and seeing my investment decisions turning out well that is giving me the satisfaction.

We are definitely happier when dressed comfortably in tees an shorts when we go out. No fancy branded stuff for us.

Only thing we do differently now as compared to when we were younger is when we go for holidays. At our age now, we need and want to travel in comfort. No more backpacking, no more cheap hostel or 2 star hotels.

So yes, we are happy with our current lifestyle. We dont see a need to spend for the sake of spending. I am not a miser, but I do derive more happiness seeing our wealth and passive income grow than in spending money mindlessly. One should do what makes one happy.

Finally I want to conclude that although our passive income is sufficient to cover our annual expenses, it is never going to cover our earned incomes. That is why I dont advocate quitting your job. I am a firm believer that you are your best asset. Once you quit, you are not making use of your best asset to generate income!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Then I hope you aren't accumulating your money because you think you can bring it with you. Being prudent and saving for retirement is one thing, saving excessively and not spending is another. Money is meant to be used, not saved. Don't be the couple who worked their entire lives and end up giving all their hard earned money to their children when they pass on, without enjoying life themselves.