Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Getting MBA worth?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys,

Need some advice here. I'm 32 yrs old, worked for 7 yrs in the finance sector. Right now i'm just about to get into the phase of moving into my new house and family planning.

Is it too late for someone my profile/age to do an MBA/Masters? i foresee next 2 years i probably will be busy if i have a kid. I'm not sure if i can say that most people who complete their CFA/Masters/MBA usually do so before they have children?

Appreciate any thoughts/advice!
i think think that it depends on a lot of factors.

1. how well are you doing currently financially. typical salary range for most top tier mba post grad, is about 100+k. less for local ntu/nus mba. if you're already at that range. then there's not much upside. simply put the ROI is not there.

2. why you're doing your mba. you need to be clear on this. to change industry? to change job function? or what? alot of engineers take up a mba hoping that it will be a magic bullet for their career. but ended up disappointed.

3. given that for most people. career peak will be at 40-45 ? given your age, you will have about 10yrs to go. this period should be the most productive in your career. is wasting 1-2 yrs on an mba at this period worth it? bear in mind, that for most top tier mbas, the candidates are about late 20s.

anyway just my thoughts because i'm struggling with the same decision.

hope it helps.