Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 29-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

LOL.

You know, some of the lessons will need to be learnt by every new generation - by going through the process and cannot be from others experience. But when it comes to property, your decision can go either way. Let me explain.

If you buy a 5 room BTO flat, the initial cost is high in comparison to what you earn. So there is a lot initial pain which can last many years especially for a couple starting a family.
In 10 to 15 years time, when both you and wife are established in your career, assumed positions of higher responsibilities and thus higher salaries, you will find that you can afford a private condo or landed property. You will also find that your initial choice to buy a 5 rm BTO flat have paid off in the sense that you could off-load it with a handsome profit giving you a big leg-up in offsetting the purchase of your new condo. This was what happened in our case. When we got married we bit the bullet and went for an HDB executive apartment. It was a stretched and admittedly some stress along the way, especially during the Asian financial crisis and SARs period where we see people losing their jobs left and right.

When the economy recovered, we saw that the price of our executive apartment shooting up very fast allowing us to easily step up to a condo (full payment). Of course, by this time, both my wife and I, being promoted a few times also saw our salaries grew.

On the hand, a friend of ours was kiasu, kiasi, dont want stress, went to buy a 3rm HDB flat. As you can imagine, he was not much stressed by the Asian financial crisis and SARs. But when the economy recovered and property prices shot up, his 3rm HBD flat price didnt rise as much. It would be a big jump for him to get into condo, so he just upgraded to another HDB - a 5 rm HDB (resale).

Another lesson learnt from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
After reading the posts, I decided that I will downgrade and apply for a BTO 3-room, instead of a BTO 5-room. Hopefully this will decrease my stress level dramatically. I want to be able to enjoy life and live free when I get older with my wife and children.