Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Unregistered

Piped dream people. If you have no children, then maybe you can go back packing across Europe or the US.

I have done a little of this when I was a graduate student in US uni. It is something you do once.

At my age now, when I travel, I want to travel in comfort. Roughing it out doesn't cut it for me anymore. Especially when we are traveling as a family. For our annual holiday last year to NZ, we spent $15k. Not a small sum but paid for fully with passive income.

So you see guys, quitting your job early in life so that you can go for long holidays is a sure fire way that you will be poor as you get older.

Work hard now, save and invest well and your "future you" will thank you for it. Ensure that you build up a strong foundation in your finances to last you through your old age.

Speaking to the two old cleaners in my office, I learnt that they had no choice but to continue to work because they didn't earn much so they could not save enough in their younger days. So if we are earning well, we have one less excuse why we could not prepare well financially for retirement.

If you are not a successful banker, quitting your job (some more both husband and wife) to go back packing for so many months is irresponsible thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Back packing in Europe for 4 - 6 months sounds fun! You surely can't do this if you're not fully retired. You can't do this if you're 65 years or older, you won't have the energy and stamina. There are many successful professionals, esp ex-bankers, who retired in their 40s or early 50s to enjoy their hard earned fortune. They can live in many parts of the world for long periods. Imagine staying 3 months in US, 1 month in Canada, 1 month in Australia, 1 month in NZ, 6 months in Europe ....