Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 22-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

It's true I am 55+. Nowadays it is hard for anyone to feel secure in their jobs, not least for those in my age group unless you happened to be in the civil service. As I have gathered, even those in their late 40s are at risk of losing their jobs. It is tragic to lose your job at this age (late 40s) where it is difficult to find another one, especially one that will pay the same salary as the old one. At this age, you are probably still paying down your home mortgage, children are still young and haven't build up your retirement fund.

However at 55, things are significantly different, at least for me. While it is true I no longer have that much market value, I am also not bothered by it. Gone are the days where I will be working hard and fighting for promotion and big bonuses. Now I work because I want to, derive meaning from it and I feel useful. (Actually I know I will be bored if I am not at work)

My home is fully paid, cars are paid in full, children are grown up and most importantly our retirement nest egg is ready. (You already know our net worth). And our expenses are fully covered by our passive income.

I have contemplated working half time (as one of my colleagues have done) and slowly ease into retirement. But you know what? That colleague who is 58, decided to return to full time work after just half a year because he was bored! I know it can't be because of money as I know he is loaded. He told me his wife is working, his children are working and the home is very quiet. I fear it will be the same for me.

And I guess you already know how I fill my time - by writing to this forum. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The guy makes a big deal of making $500 per day. His income is only $200k pa but he makes it sound so much. Nowadays, people in their 30s already making $500k pa. LOL. He is already 55, any time can be retrenched. He needs to be more humble.