Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - is it a poor fit or just trying to adapt?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumsy View Post
Hi all,

I left my job of two years in the private sector which I am actually okay with it, to seek for more opportunities and also higher salary. I am currently a civil servant, been in the industry for almost about 7 months. My diploma is not related to what I am doing right now(not going to tell), which is tough but I got to say, I love what I am doing now and I have interest in it but unfortunately, got to be truthful about this, I suck at it and they don't look at how passionate I am, rather they look at how capable I am.

This has resulted me to falling into depression lately. It is a fast pace environment because of the customers' demand, and on top of that, you have to be accurate and knowledgeable in what you do. At least, that is how i interpreted it, because my manager said that it doesn't require a certain discipline to work(reason why im hired).

Back to how I suck at it. I'm not so sure if it is my fault or that I was not properly guided because i do not have a fix buddy(they took turns to guide me because all of them were too busy), but I always made the same MINOR mistake too often, and had been receiving crude remarks and words of disappointment from my colleagues. Three months into working, I had a mental breakdown. I wanted to quit but the department was short of manpower, so they made things better for me so I would stay. I made the decision to stay but now, in my seventh month, I feel like quitting again because of the repetitive amount of mistakes that I did last week, and constant amount of words of disappointment and scoldings that I received. (I honestly don't blame them because they must have expected me to be a better worker than before)

I honestly think the job might be a poor fit for me but at the same time I think it might be a period of transition too. I'm not so sure. I have no one to speak to at work. My colleagues are very workaholic and organized, and I don't think I am able to meet their kind of standard. What do you guys think? Should I quit? I'm not so sure what to say to them, after all, I've decided to stay.

btw. i'm 21. i do not like to be a job hopper..but i am just unfortunate to be in this situation. happiness matter to me.
You need to be specific what is your problem. You keep saying poor fit but what does it mean? What is your job & in which industry? What are your mistakes?

As for poor performance due to lack of formal training, I seriously doubt that. Your job is likely very junior & I cannot imagine how the lack of formal training makes you not able to perform even after 7 months on the job.

Also sometimes in life good thing which you don't appreciate & leave because of more $$$ might not come back. You don't want to hop to another company only to see the environment worse.