Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much savings do you have?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

It really depends on at which point you bought the stocks and for how long you hold them.

There are "traders" and income investors. Traders buy and sell stocks with the aim to make quick gains but income investors invest for income and they tended to hold stocks for the long term.

I am an income investor and I started my investment journey from the moment I earned from my first paycheck. That was a good 30 years ago.

Imagine if the stock gave out 5% dividend a year, in 20 years you would have recouped back your principal. In the past, good stocks regularly gave out bonus shares and split. Examples are SIA, Comfortdelgro, Sembmarine etc... So if you have bought into these stocks, your holdings would have grown multifold with the same principal outlay.

Today, 70% of my stocks are "free" stocks meaning I have already recouped back my principal on those stocks. The stocks are still in my holdings giving me good dividends. On top of this, these good stocks or blue chips have also increased their dividend payout over the years!

As I approach retirement, the dividend income become an important component to my total income as I will one day totally depend on it. As of today, I am receiving $100k pa in dividends! No small sum if you asked me.

Yes, when "Mr Market" feels unwell, you see your stock values drop, but as an income investor and as someone approaching retirement, my main concern is the yearly dividend I am getting from my investment, not the stock values.

I am still getting good dividend payout. In fact for 2015, a few of the companies have announced increased dividend payout!

The way I look at it, when "Mr Market" is down, it is good time to take a look and if you have money to spare, maybe pick up a few good stocks for the dividends they give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Try to avoid stocks. The number of losers far outnumber the number of winners in the stock market. Capital losses likely far outweighs what u can gain from dividends.