Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I got a AAB for my A Levels. It has always been my dream to become a lawyer so since I can't get into he national uni with my result, I went for the next best option - private institution. I didn't know that UOL degree can't be called to the bar, as confirmed by my cousin.

UOL degree though good enough to be called to the bar in other countries, is only good enough to be paralegal or legal officer. Why so unfair? UOL degree is widely recognised amongst commonwealth countries! Why is Singapore the exception?

The only reprieve for me from this discussion is that I got to know from my school that I am amongst the top 10 student in Malaysia and Singapore and UOL will award one scholarship spot to the top performing student. I have every chance to get to UK for my 2nd year of studies onwards, and with a proper UK degree I can be called to the bar here. And that's what I am working for at this moment!
I am the poster of #402. I do not know why is it so "unfair". I do think that there are some differences in standards between the schools, even though it is largely up to the individual concerned.

I am just questioning your dream to become a lawyer? What kind of lawyer do you wish to become? Why do you want to be a lawyer? Is it the pay? The thrill of advocacy? Because you want to help people? Because you love the law? I also hope that your dream is based on realistic expectations on what practising as a lawyer involves - it isn't suits or boston legal for sure.

I do know of some people who have got called to the Singapore bar via the foreign lawyer route that you suggested. It's a much longer route and a lot of perseverance is required. I think you also need a certain amt of experience with a law firm before you can be called to the Singapore bar as a Singapore lawyer.

Hope the above helps.