Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Uhm... Are you aware that quite a few lawyers in the big4 firms are non Singaporean? At last count, I know of at least 10 EPs in A&G who come from across the causeway, and another few who herald from other parts of the world, such as Laos and Myanmar. R&T has a similar number as well.

In fact, opening foreign law offices naturally involves the managing partners over in those branches holding dual partnerships - both in the Singapore head office firm and in the foreign branch firm. As such, you could safely say that any big4 which has affiliate offices overseas would almost invariably have non-Singaporean partners inducted as partners in the singapore office.

I therefore wouldn't agree on the point about only Singaporeans being inducted. If you're a rainmaker who's capable of originating millions in fees every year, your nationality doesn't quite matter yes?

Obviously the poster above wasn't talking about M'sians lah. Of course many prominent Singapore lawyers have been Malaysians. Heck, even Wee Chong Jin the first Chief Justice was born in Malaysia.

He/she was obviously talking about the class of FTs like NRI, Pinoys, and PRC (the kind that proliferate the finance and IT sector).

I do agree that with our local firms expanding overseas, the top management will become more inclusive to non-Singaporeans. But if you're talking about the lockstep of every cohort who will eventually rise up to partnership, generally it is still very much made up of Singaporeans. After all, the legal profession is still structured to be very protectionist here.