Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Be a commodities trader
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodityTraderSingapore View Post
Honestly, it is very hard to break into the industry outright as a physical trader. Majority of the people had to go through some sort of 'ground work', especially in cargo/shipping operations and risk management. Finance related knowledge is also important.

I would recommend that you take on any position that is available in the physical trading shop and work your ass off to learn as much as you can and maneuver yourself into a position that you are looking for.

Also, just to note, you do not need to be a trader to live a comfortable standard of living. An experienced operator or risk manager can easily take home 10k/mth before bonus, and do not have to be faced with PnL stress.
Hi there, it will be difficult without a doubt, not to mention that I am still a fresh grad with bits and pieces of intern experience. I'll say I desire to utilise what I know/ have seen rather than jumping into any field because of monetary needs. In this case I'm glad I actually have supply chain/ shipping background.

As a newbie to the working world I wish to aim a little higher while I'm still young, free of obligations and commitments. But that's a good point you've brought up, one does not need to become a trader to live a comfortable life. Nonetheless thanks for your valuable input, it really helped!