Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Watching Millionaire Inside
View Single Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Default april

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My parents were not rich, but they had a house which cost around $500k at that time. Would it be right for me to "demand" that they sell the house to send me overseas to study medicine? Of course not. It would have made me the ultimate unfilial son.

However, if they had made the offer, it would have been the ultimate sacrifice, similar to offering a kidney. In fact, I might have turned it down, but the offer was not made.
If you truly wanted to do medicine, you could have chosen some other paths:

1. Get into a U.S. University on scholarship since if you had better results than those getting in to NUS Medical School, your A Levels should be pretty spectacular. Register for a pre-med program and then apply to medical school after you get your undergraduate degree.

2. I suppose your parents didn't want to risk poverty in their old age to spend their life savings on you, which is reasonable. However, there are cheaper medical schools like in India and if you borrowed money from them by a re-mortgage on their property and then worked your ass off to pay it down when qualified. it may have worked.

Given that you currently earn more than what a good surgeon earns in Singapore, you probably made the right choice anyway. And you might never have made it in medicine.