Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Be a commodities trader
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To be honest, I don't really think having an honors degree matters a lot. Unless you are talking about those ultra 'branded' and competitive programs offered by Shell, BP, Vitol , Glencore etc.

Being a physical trader is all about your interpersonal skills, how you carry yourself in front of people, the things you say when you are drunk and of course, your business development and sales skills.

I'm lucky that with my so-so grades I get to join a relatively renowned company. My timing was right my boss hired me as he expanded his trading books and needed me to manage his accounts and develope more trading channels in the region. I wasn't in some graduate trainee or MA program but I'm glad I wasn't in it as well. At least I get to groom my 'babies' instead of being rotated after 6 months and the satisfaction from getting regular orders from your clients is really indescribable. Of course your bonus is pegged to your p&l as well as your other qualitative measurables. If you are wondering, I am not wearing a skirt and neither is my boss or gay 😊.

What is your background though? Your internship/ working Exp more specifically.

My company is hiring some traders for a newly established desk. Maybe I can point you in the right direction of your exp is ok.
Hi there, it seems like you have been relatively occupied and I thought I could explain, in brief, my prior experiences here. I was previously involved in the policy making side of energy research, where the section I had my stint studied the trend and the selection process (CBA) of raw energy input (including renewables), as well as the on-going discussions at the UN conferences. I am also exposed to the role of a ship charterer in bulk carriers to be exact, although I am also aware of how other commodities (LNG/ LPG/ Crude/ Containers) are transported.

Regardless of whether my portfolio suits any opening, may I ask how should an individual kick start their career in this business? I must admit my exposure is limited, very limited in fact, and I will very much love to take on a position which will allow me to learn the fundamentals well. What do you advise?

*[email protected] is for the public domain, hope you'll understand!