Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 30-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've read most of the discussions on this thread as I am a highly anxious prospective SIM UOL student who is most uncertain about the outcome of his future.It goes without saying that local university students indeed are more superior than those studying in private institutions and let's face it if all of us were given a chance to choose any university of our predilection then almost all of us who have commented on this thread including those from private institutions would choose a local U over a private one.

The local university focuses on equipping their graduates with all the essential qualities needed to cope in today's world and there can be no comparison with that of a private institution because one must understand that it's after all a distance learning program awarded by an institution which have collaborations with that respective university.If that university had its own campus in Singapore then it would be a different story altogether.

That being said I would also like to point out that even though institution A might be lower than institution B,that doesn't make the product of the institution A more inferior to the product of institution B.This depends solely on the individuals capacity and capabilities.

From my understanding in this thread,even before proceeding to study at SIM UOL,I only acknowledged one class for which every graduate of SIM should graduate with,in order to give him or her that slight chance to compare themselves with our local peers:A first class honours.Of course I do acknowledge that there are a few "gifted candidates" who probably with Good networking skills or interpersonal skills have landed in places one might think it's absurd for their calibre but it may in fact be true.

The world we live in today is a complicated one but I want to debate about something more sophisticated than debating a simple issue "Local vs Private". There have been many speculations about how SIM UOL doesn't provide students with in depth knowledge about the respective subjects due to lack of coursework and other related factors and thus if a THIRD class local U grad were to enroll in SIM UOL,he or she may as well ace the system since it would be easier for him or her to jump on a planet with lesser gravity than the planet he or she was previously in.This may be true or untrue,it's after all just an assumption.But how about we look at it this way,Will a student from a local U who graduate with a 3rd class honours be accepted into a masters program at LSE(Main campus)? I mean why not give that student a chance because if he or she had instead enrolled in SIM UOL his or her third class honours in a local U would be anyway tantamount to a first class in SIM-UOL.It would be the most inane thing a prestigious University like LSE can do if such an institution permits a student with a third class honours to enroll in their program.With some research and live examples that move around us,No one can be oblivious and dispute the fact that a first class SIM UOL grad cannot get into LSE for their masters program.This in turn shows that a Third class honours student from a local U is not superior than a first class honours student from SIM-UOL program because if the third class student was admitted into LSE then it would be flagrant that LSE is considered as a Third class institute which can never happen.

I think once a First Class SIM UOL grad has equipped themselves with work experience and a masters from top institutions(more superior than those of our Local U's) he or she can be comparable to a local U grad and at least consider themselves on par with not the real elites(of course some may as well depending on circumstances) but the "ones" who consider themselves Good local Uni grads.

I also do acknowledge that one may discord my above opinions but hey that's part of this process,do debate with me on this issue.

Thank you for sparing time to read my thoughts.Please do correct me if I'm wrong to say what I said in anyway and I am sincerely sorry to those I might have offended in any way what so ever.

Have a good day!
(The above content is entirely based on my thoughts and opinions)
This is way too long for a few simple points ...