Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But a pt SIM degree isn't a real degree in the eyes of most employers. And I dont think getting a pt cert is really helpful to be a PR manager. Where did u get the idea u need a pt cert to be a PR manager? I would think establishing your credentials in the profession and knowing the right people in the correct area is more important.

I advise u go ask real professionals in the industry you want to work for proper opinion. You go ask SIM or friends who already studying the cert of course they will say its useful and expected. Although your parents already save up for you to study for the cert, you are already quite old and I would be more careful to spending my parents money like that when others at the same age are already contributing to household.

I'm not saying there is no value to study for pt degree, but you seem to have already made up your mind to study further and just looking at very surface stuff like average age in SIM, normal to study while working etc. Every career path and personal circumstance is different, cannot just blindly follow what others are doing. What works for them might not work for you.

Ask yourself if it's your own savings for a few years that you need to sacrifice or you are the one who needs to take up a study loan, will you be so hasty to sign up for general biz courses without even having any work exp or finding out what the industry is like yet?
Yes, it's about knowing people, doing good work and being recognised for your efforts but didn't bring up that point because I believe it's self explanatory to everyone. On my part I would want to upgrade myself, learn more skills and also from the academia pespect prepare myself more.

I understand that UniSIM is fully recognised by the govt now and it's the 6th local university. Have yet to hear about the reception of UniSIM from employers since the first batch of students have not graduated as of yet.

It's also not to say that I've only heard all positive feedback from my friends.

I've already made appointments with friends who are in the industry to gain insights and these are real people in the industry with many years working experience.

Even though a degree from NUS/NTU is more prestigeous, I think SIM GE graduants also deserve respect as human beings. It still takes effort to get achieve a private degree.