Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 18-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Currently, have went through the tests to be an ATCO and seems like they're going to make me an offer. If accepted, I think the diploma will suffice for sure.

There're numerous companies on jobstreets that offer education as their staff benefits and I wonder what that might be? Please enlighten me.

Yes, potentially I don't see myself in the aviation industry because I argee with the points that you brought up so looking to branch out my options. My concern is also with an engineering dip, it's hard for me to join other sectors as most job requistes demand diplomas with similar industrial background.

I think my strengths lie in communication so I'm also looking at PR/Advertising/Marketing. That being said, that would come a time I would move up the ladders and I'm very concerned that the diploma would serve as a limiting mechanism.

Is it very normal for diploma holders to work on a FT basis for a 3-4 years before going for 'upgrade'?
I don't think you should be considering things like whether company will sponsor studies. Companies usually only sponsor studies either because you are a key talent or specific education for a specific job you are doing. I don't think there are many pte companies out there who will sponsor staff to do generic pt deg from UOL which doesnt serve any purpose.

Those that anyhow sponsor will require you to sign a multi year bond, so in that sense it is more like a binding arrangement then sponsorship. For your case since you are already behind others, unless it is really a good company with a good job you ideally want, you cannot afford to waste another 4-5 years on a binding contract with something that you don't really like.

There is nothing wrong with working a while to find out where your passions and career truly lie before starting to study again. Don't just rush into studying without any specific goal, pt deg from UOL is percieved as just slightly better than diploma, it will not give you this massive boost in career, so it is ok to wait a while and figure out what you truly want to do first. Who knows maybe your chosen path in the end don't even need to buy a generic biz degree.