Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice / Opinions needed
View Single Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did not make any of the above comment, but I think if you are ready to post your question here, it is certainly that you will get kinds of reply. (be it good or bad)

Of course not all reply might be true (ppl might just want to bash you down or something, after all this is the internet, what can you do about it since you want to make this as a platform for discussion)

However, there are people here giving you real information (although might sound harsh, but since you already started working, you should know that the real world is a very harsh place to live in).

From my brief review, certainly, it will be quite hard to go into MA. The reason is because (as mention above) there are many people local and foreign grads are eyeing on MA position, not just in finance industry but other industry as well. The reason is because the prospect is there.

You already mention that you are not sure whether you can break past the HR resume stage. (I believe you are already aware of the competition that you are facing)

I think you can discuss with your manager about your progression after you got your degree. But I not sure how your organization works when it comes to upgrading or review your career progression.

Certainly not say you do not have chance, but why not broaden your mind, accept the position or possible progression that you might have after discuss with your manager. Dont only look at MA as the only career progression there are other ways as well.
I think you meant well, but let's face it - guys like the TS are everywhere, they are now in denial mode and will not listen to anything that does not conform to their fairy tale misconception. He's already spent time & money to get that part time cert, strong effort bias also.

It is much better to tell him the hard truth than waste time sugar coating the whole thing. For e.g. telling him that it is "quite hard" to get into MAP is just going to feed him notions that somehow he is the splendor exceptional who's going to make it. As far as I'm aware in DBS (where I was from), no part time private degree grad has ever made it into MAP throughout history. And DBS & OCBC is kind of near bottom in terms of criteria in the banking MAP world.