Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

We were in your age group 7 years ago, also with 2 teenager children. Two things can happen from here. But I will share what happened to us. At that time our networth was $2.4m.

We talked about letting my wife quit and become a housewife or a "tai-tai". Well we did our sums and felt the "tai-tai" option was out for her. With her not working, we will have to sell off one car and either she will be a "tai-tai" without a car or I will be taking public transport to work. She will also be the poorest "tai-tai" then.

So, we both continued working. Things turned out well for us as it should for most people. You get established in your career, maybe get promoted, your housing loans, car loans get paid down/off, your children grow up and enter uni, and your savings grow!

At 47/48, I think we were saving about $80k a year, but we saw the savings rate steadily increasing each year to about $350k-$400k now. As you pass 50, you see your expenses stabilized or reduced while your income grow, investment returns grow.

As long as you and your wife continue to work you should do alright financially. I see a few of my colleagues quit prematurely from their work before 55 missing out the "golden" years of their earning and savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Couple, 47 & 48 years old with two teenage children. Our income is $160k pa in total.
Condominium is currently valued at $1m with loan remaining $400k. Just bought a new car with some loan.

Our expenses are: mortgage, car loan, car petrol, food and groceries, condo maintenance fee, taxes, insurance, children's various expenses, eating out, holidays, parents' allowance, cable, utilities, gifts to loved ones, donations, etc.

Total expenses $130k pa. We save $30k pa.

Our total net worth $1.1m. Are we managing our finances correctly?

If you are in our age group, please share your financial situation here.