Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career Prospects for ACCA
View Single Post
Old 16-08-2010, 12:13 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

I think one needs to re-evaluate if you are joining Big 4 for the $$$.cos if $$$ is draw, then Big 4 is really not the place to be in. Go and talk to your friends in the audit and ask them about the peak period. Also be specific as to what exactly their day is like and you get a better picture of how poorly paid they can be. The only +ve point is that you are working with young-simliar age colleagues. But if you are changing jobs (or switching degree) then you might find yourself to be a bit out of the group already.

My take is to join a entry level bank or finance or even insurance sector if $$$ is the draw. They are also more open to ACCA , and other degrees because they want you get a broad base understanding of how to market to these sectors.

For eg, a bank started hiring doctors ( and other medical professionals) just to increase its corporate/investment banking evaluation for the health industry.

I know what it is to feel like being stuck in a job with seemingly no future. But i can say that having a multiple job hopping on your cv with each job at 1-3 years each is really not something hiring managers are keen to see especially when the job market is still so intense. And who knows the future ? I recalled 8 years back, law industry was said to be oversupplied and every fresh uni applicant avoid the law course. And see what happened now ? The supply is so low that even basic law grads are earning really high salaries now.

The idea of multi-skilled set is good but in a hard job market like now, employers will usually only take in those direct -entry one.My guess is only 2 in ten cases that they will employ out of direct relevant skilled employees.