Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - To jump or not to jump
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 11:01 AM

kt2u is on a distinguished road
Default To jump or not to jump

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I am currently working for a MNC IT vendor as presales consultant, drawing a OTE package of 230K pa. Have been in the consulting/vendor environment for 11 years now and have been thinking about a switch to an end-user. Got an offer recently from a financial institution as VP of IT at base salary of 164K pa with promise of 4-5 month bonus, which would push it to about 232-240K pa in best case scenario.

There is no real push factor at my current job, pressure is manageable although the typical stress chasing sales targets at quarter end/FY end is usual. On the other hand the new role will certainly have more stress given that I'll need to prove myself and the role will have more visibility to the senior management. The latter might be a good thing though for long term career advancement.

For me, both career tracts are interesting and have its pros and cons. Doing sales long term is tiresome, while in-house IT role might be boring after a while. Any advice from the folks here, especially those who have been in the same boat?

BTW, I'm turning 40 and have the typical family commitments (spouse plus 2 kids). Financial situation is comfortable without large loan commitments.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app