Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed from everyone (Lonely single & Retirement)
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 03:31 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

I'm quite sure most people around your age that are single do think like you.
The social media in your generation has changed people - people "interactions" . The virtual /social media world is the "real" world for most in your generation.

Gaming as you described,seem to be just a way for you to get connected and relax and have fun. There is nothing wrong to it but you lose "learning" how to connect with people without that PC/tablet/social media that can be equally fruitful.

For eg, how do you share a "wink" in real life ? how do you poke a friend when you are bored ?

On your questions of the future , you obviously can have the financial means to do gaming for the rest of your life. But in doing so, you exchange this for something else.

You may not sense it now , but in 5-10 years, many of your friends will be married and sharing about those experiences on their fb, twitter ,etc.
they will also drop out from hanging out etc. the "sensing" you have now that you may be "missing" out something will be stronger then.

Only you then can answer if you still think this way when that happens.
and most importantly, will you regret the decisions you make now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineStone324 View Post
Hi all, thanks for coming into this thread. I would like to seek from all of you some advice on my situation: I'm single (male, 32 yo), and there's a possibility that I will remain single for life. I would like to plan (and seek advice) on what I could do to lead a fulfilling/enjoyable single life.

I've thought about going to events, volunteering, etc. However, I'm not sure if I will be very receptive to that as I'm not an extrovert. One of the ideas that I've came up with is to play computer games when I'm old. While this may sound immature/weird, it really is one of the most viable option that I could think off at this point. My reasons/assumptions are as follows:

1) I like playing computer games. Specifically, RPG (e.g. WOW, Diablo, Ragnarok, etc.) appeals to me. It can be fun to make online friends too.
2) Online games are cheap as long as you don't splurge on them. This means that my living expenses can remain low. That is, I may be able to save and invest sufficiently, such that my passive income can cover my total living expenses (including utilities, daily expenses, etc.).

I was wondering if anyone out there has the same thought as me? Would it be possible that I could still like gaming as much, and play them all-day at 55 years old till my very last day? If it's unlikely to happen, why? Is it because I won't be as agile when I'm old? Or is it because I'll simply lose my interest for gaming when I'm old?

I will really appreciate all advice given. Thank you.