Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career crossroad/s - Psych Major
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Verified Member

ambivalent is on a distinguished road
Default Career crossroad/s - Psych Major

Hi all,

Created this thread hoping members can shed some light regarding career options for psych majors. Constructive comments will be greatly appreciated.

Profile:
20+
Psych degree from UK uni
Have exposure in roles such as:
student mentoring/secretarial/education/volunteer work with VWOs
Weak and little interest in numbers/math/engineering

Areas of interest & passionate in:
Online blog-shop management (Ever tried my hands at selling apparel online - similar to what those blog-shops are doing)
Writing (guest writer for a psych blog - voluntary. I'd welcome any opportunities to write, be it ad-hoc or paid).
Outreach Work (pertaining to children & communities like PA/the likes)
*had enough of student centre settings/teaching*
Child counseling / Psychology / Peer Mentoring
Outreach work - Career counseling, volunteer management

*Willing to switch fields to pursue a more secured career pathway with good prospects. (say, approximately 3k and more in the next 5 years).

*I've considered pursuing a masters, but the fear of unemployment after graduating is holding me back*

Note:
Becoming increasingly unmotivated to apply for psych-related jobs. Reason being: repetitive & similar job ads. Limited job positions, overrated industry.

Considering the above areas of interest, which option below would you suggest is wisest? I'm seeking to value-add to my cert by adopting one of the following :

1. Switch to another industry (but which??? I'm kinda interested in casework mgmt & social work, but I would like a field that offers stable employment with reasonable pay - 3k+ in 5 years time)

2. Pursue a part-time degree @ Murdoch (still searching for a course that is of interest - in your opinion, what is a useful cert that a Psych degree can leverage on, aside from HR / Business / Marketing (Which seems kinda general/broad)?

3. Attend short courses at SSI (Social service institute) - I've set sights on some courses (To value-add by acquiring new skills & for personal upgrading)

Last edited by ambivalent; 30-06-2015 at 05:22 PM.