Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Alternative careers for a Law student
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2015, 03:23 AM
Unregistered

Hi,

I'm not affiliated with the TS but I too am interested in exploring alternative career options as a law graduate.

Just a brief background: I am 2:1 graduate from a still scheduled UK university. I am about to complete my training contract with a mid sized local law firm and will be called to the Singapore Bar later this year. However owing to the current conditions, the firm was unable to retain me. I have been applying to quite a number of other law firms, but without much success so far.

In this regard, I've begun to give a career in compliance some serious thought. However most positions i've encountered (via Job Boards, Recruitment sites and Headhunters) require about 2+ years of working experience. Needless to say the search has been challenging so far.

I wish enquire as to what would be the 'entry point' to gain the required experience to pursue a career in compliance? I currently have about 1year of legal training and also a BBA degree from NUS (Law is my 2nd degree) under my belt. I have also considered enrolling in the IBF Level 1 course conducted by the ICTA.

Any advice rendered would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Any advice on any additional alternative career paths would also be greatly appreciated as well!