Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 13-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Unregistered

Two big Cs in Singapore are CONDO and CAR. An average condo would cost $1.5m while cars cost you $600k if you drive for 40 years (assuming $150k for each new car you buy, lasting 10 years each). You have achieved both so you are considered successful. In terms of household income, your total household income of $170k pa puts you in the top 25% of Singapore households. You are not in the middle income group (50th percentile) but you are in the upper middle income group. Congratulations on your success in climbing up Singapore's social ladder. Your parents must be very proud of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My spouse and I have upgraded from low income families when we were young to a typical middle class, middle income Singapore family today. Our meritocratic system has allowed us to move up the social ladder. Today, at the age of 46 and 44 respectively, we are proud of our achievements. I earn a modest income of $80k pa while my spouse earns $90k pa. We started off staying in a HDB flat but managed to upgrade to a condo eventually. Today, our condo is worth $1.1m and we have only about $250k of mortgage left to pay. We have no problem paying the monthly mortgage payment via our CPF.

We are fortunate to be able to save too. From my income of $80k pa, I save $30k pa. As for my spouse, she saves $40k pa from her income of $90k pa. We are also fortunate to be able to change to a new car, which we paid off in cash using our savings, saved over the years.

We look forward to a good retirement as we watch our CPF funds grow.