Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 05:29 PM
A more responsible guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a Marketing Associate in a MNC now. I explored the thought of joining MOE as a teacher last year with a non-recognized bachelor degree and basically went through the same research and thought process like you as well.

In the end my conclusion was although I liked teaching, the whole economics of the deal doesn’t make sense. There was no way I was going to waste 3-4 years of my life & deplete my savings to study something worthless full time just to get a cert and then take a 50% pay cut as a teacher.

As for joining MOE with a diploma then try to study from there hoping that somehow will make it to mainstream teaching, not sure how feasible it is. But I don’t think it makes sense anyway, why give up a proper career & paycheck to go for something that has very little hope of success. Without relevant exp even if MOE accepts you, they are going to offer you fresh diploma pay & benefits which is quite pathetic.

If after a few years it doesn’t work out, you will be stuck with lousy job prospects as a diploma civil servant or Div2 officer and going to back to pte sector will be extremely difficult. As I said, you don’t want to end up in your 30s with little relevant exp, low pay and no job prospects.
I'll give it a shot first, if I'm selected for the interview, I'll ask the interviewers how the pay scale will work.
Actually my work experience is relevant to the subject I intend to teach, just checked the site.
If it doesn't work out, I'm prolly looking forward to another MNC as a designer/senior designer and do part time studies.