Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Im from UOL and I havent personally seen anyone's resume. But I do know quite a few friends who went to SIM-UOL but puts LSE on their facebook profiles and also in their conversation with their friends or people that they meet. But I'm just too polite to correct them in their face.

You cant take what people say online as a correct representation of reality. People describe NTU as a 'tiong' school as well. But the PRC population there is no more than in NUS or SMU. You don't know who these people are, they might be SIM grads/students themselves.

Some of the mockery is honestly derived from SIM students themselves who make weird claims like the one above about being from LSE and also that we are somehow 'street-smart' and other university grads are not. These claims do gain a considerable amount of mockery. IMO, dont take what anyone says online seriously. Its best to just take care of yourself and let your performance at work speak for your abilities.
I agree - most of it is due to generalisation. I do know a couple of SIM grads - who are down to earth and happy to admit that they are from SIM, not start a convo/post on FB that they are UOL/LSE/RMIT. in my opinion, you should be proud of what you have - people think lowly of you if you try to act.

degree wise - SIM's courses are no way comparable to the local standards - there is a reason why NUS/SMU/NTU are 4 year full time courses. coupled with the fact that grades are normalized in local universities.

the crap about being streetsmart etc, is 100% ********. try telling a NUS grad who got into InvBanking earning 10k a month as his first pay, driving a BMW after 2-3 years that he is not streetsmart. likewise, claims about SIM grads making into graduate programmes are just laughable.