Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice on IB & Consulting Urgently !
View Single Post
Old 22-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa001 View Post
Hi Guys , I'm a current Masters student in Business Management . Previously I was in the electronics engineering fled where I worked for around 7 years. At the moment I'm trying to get into IB (Operations ) or Management consulting (not with MBB's but more like accenture types). My GPA is around 3.5 and I'm currently studying at a reputable university (Ranked within the top 50 B schools in the world ). Some of my peers have already landed jobs in IB's and Consulting firms but they have better grades than me. So I'm trying to figure out why am I not getting any calls from these firms ?? some conclusions were,

1). I have no relevant Internships
2). Too old to join as a associate / Analyst ( I'm 30 by the way)
3). Existing work experience doesn't add value and are unrelated

My questions .....

1). Is it possible for me to get an internship and will it be worthwhile (considering my age) ??
2). Is my age really a problem for the applications ??
3). What are my alternatives ?? what other carrer option do you think i have ?? Any ideas are welcome

Thank you so much !
My 2 cents:
- Your background matters. How transferable are the skills that you've obtained in the electronics engineering field to IB? Likely to be not very relevant. Try a more targeted approach - IB groups which specialize in industrials (rarely heard of them though)?
- Yes, your age matters. Post-MBA IB, you would be looking for Associate (instead of analyst) roles, where you would be groomed towards obtaining clients (instead of spending ~100hrs/week formatting PPTs and Excel sheets).
- Yes, try your best to get an internship. It's possible even at your age; many have done so. It is important for your future IB FT application.
- If IB/MC fails, try for Post-MBA Leadership Programmes at MNCs. They usually have these programmes for MBA graduates. These are pretty good. Although not at the IB/MC level, salary and hours are good. Search around; there are many of these around. Not easy to get them too, but just apply to as many as possible.