Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My personal observation is that engineers are too navie. They would rather spend lots of time and thousands of dollars to attend "trade your way to riches" and "get rich through ebay" seminars (just 2 examples to come to my mind), than spend time and effort in actually taking practical steps.

What I mean by "practical steps": it's not hard to figure that moving into the financial sector and starting small businesses are the most practical ways to earn more money in Singapore's context, given that Singapore is respectively a financial hub and its government is highly pro-business (eg innovation grants, jobs credit, training subsidies).

On the other hand, non-engineers are not affected by those ebay and trading distractions, simply because they are by nature non-technical and disinterested in such things. Naturally, they veer towards the more practical ways to get rich. They are focused.

And so, engineers lose out.

Not to mention that engineers also play games and are addicted to gadgets. Many of them waste time to queue up overnight to get their StarCraft 2 and iPad. Or spend hours googling about such stuff.

Are you one of them?
Yes I WAS one of them. Your descriptions are very insulting yet so accurate and funny that almost have me rolling on the floor.

As someone who had been through all these, I can tell you that what you have described above are a form of escapism from the harsh realities of life.

I remember going to the video games arcades in the early 1990's to play the motorsports car races because I couldn't afford a car, much less a sports model, in real life.

Fortunately, I managed to grow out of this naivety and took what you described as "practical steps", else I would not have dared turn up for the house warming as the conversation revolved around children's school, properties and luxury cars.

Someone pointed out above that this is "shallow" but I don't think that is a fair statement. People tend to talk about things they buy so bankers and doctors talk about Sentosa Cove and Porsches while engineers talk about StarCraft 2 and iPad.