Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 26-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Others View Post
From what I understand, the Civil Service pays for academic achievements based on relevance. If you manage to find a position in another stat board / ministry asking for post-grad qualifications (could be in engineering or not), then yes, your salary would increase substantially.

But if your current position doesn't require a PhD, then chances are you're on the same progression rate as other graduates who have no PhDs. It's all down to performance, and to a large extent, how well your bosses like you (huh).

I've heard of several graduates who attained Masters while working in the Civil Service then resigned because it simply didn't help them get promoted (one of the reasons is also that the Civil Service doesn't recognize your Masters if you attain it part-time while working inside the Civil Service).
I too have heard of this. This is one of the greatest traps when pursuing postgraduate education. Just because you have a PhD or a Masters degree doesn't bump your salary up significantly. In fact, based on what I've seen, increments because of added qualifications look more like annual increments - only a few hundred dollars at the most. Possibly in the 100s or 200s only.

As the above poster mentioned, your pay will only increase significantly if your PhD is needed for the job you're doing. Perhaps in specific research areas. Even then, there may be a hierarchy where having a PhD is the default. It really depends on the job. That's what it comes down to.

ALso, in many cases, it's experience that really bumps your salary up. This is tied in to your job appointment. For example, even if you have PhD in a relevant field, you can't be an Assistant Director or Director (where the big bucks are) if you have only a few years of experience. I guess the Civil Service isn't one to gamble on young talent the same way the private sector does. Unless you're a scholar. But even then, chances are you'd have been put through the wringer for a few intense years before your bumped up.

Finally, with regards to the PhD specifically, there's often a disconnect between your expectations upon attaining one, and the reality of the job market. You'd think that logically, because you couldn;t be more qualified (as far as paper qualifications are concerned), you'll be paid appropriately. You also worked your ass off to get it. The reality is usually quite disappointing.

I don't know how it is in the sciences, but those with humanities or social science PhDs are generally only rewarded for their efforts if they work in a university. Otherwise, it doesnt count for much (as mentioned above). Other than the special title you get in front of your name