Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of doing an Life Science diploma/degree? Read this first.
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I graduated from life science 7 years ago and joined the finance industry. Looking back, that was the best decision I've made seeing how some schoolmates who are doing their postgrad now are thinking of leaving the industry but realised that they are too niched and too expensive to be hired outside science. There is also this stress of job security among them as research is heavily based on funding. Some labs are closing down or have to change direction to do research projects that are commercially viable to attract investors. It's a tough field to be in with limited opportunities and slow salary progression. Fresh biz grad in banks could get a higher pay than recent PHD graduate. So I feel unless one is really passionate abt research and is not concerned abt compensation package, don't limit yourself to a career in life science.
Nice to hear that you managed to enter the finance industry back then. Could share with us, if you took up any additional courses in finance related to enter that field with a life science degree?

sounds like life science degree is not too good.. wonder if there is any life science grads out there doing well in science/other sector?