Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career options as an Accountant in Healthcare (Hospital)
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowie89 View Post
That is insightful. Getting to the strategic formulation of corporate finance is tough. I am looking forward to that too. It seems that Mega MNC prefers candidates with Big Four experience (not in audit) but in Corporate Advisory. This is what i observed through data sources like linkedin and etc. So i would like to hear how to get valuable experience in corporate finance in order to progress. Right now, it seems that my job scope is rather not so transactional nor big picture kind. Whatever you have describe seems like a MBA upgrade which i do not want to spend big $$$ on this unless i can gain sponsorship from the company.
I don't advise taking MBA either because:

1) Those that are useful are too expensive and you will probably not learn much due to lack of relevant exposure
2) Those that are affordable are of questionable value

You have to take it slow. As it is, there is no way you can expect mega MNCs to hire you straight to a strategic role as your current experience is too transactional and you lack the credentials working in complex organizations.

Essentially you have only 2 choices:

1) Stay in current hospital and find avenues to take on projects that are outside your comfort SOP zones. Invest time in engaging senior managers. Take a look at the reports you are generating for people, ask yourslef other than those standard brain dead stuff, is there any additional information, insights you can add to assist the decision maker? How much do you know about the hospital operations, its financial dynamics and future business plans?

Even if they don't lead to promotion per se in the hospital, it will help you greatly later in interviews and your understanding of business matters of the day will help you secure a better role in a bigger company next time.

2) Look outside. Critical thing is not to set too high unrealistic expectations. Go for either medium sized local companies and jobs that are a slight expansion to what you are doing now. Slowly move between companies that offer slightly bigger job scope or are bigger and more multinational in size.

Important thing is to see the whole thing as a journey step by step over the years rather than an unrealistic goal like "I'm gonna be a Microsoft Regional Financial Manager making 300k in 5 years". Setting unrealistic goals only cause you to get depress as you never seem to be getting anywhere close.