Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Banks' Pay and Bonuses
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 04:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are there anyone doing IB FO here? I'm curious about how the IB market is like now. Heard that IBers from Goldman, Macquarie and CIMB got laid off recently.

What is the environment like in FO now? What would be the typical expected plans for those who got laid off? For example, I believe that some of them are analysts (<2 years). Where could they reasonably go from here, considering the current environment?
As always, the financial markets are cyclical in nature. There has been a recent pull back in terms of hiring especially in SEA since deal volumes (mainly equity based deals) have plummeted. Goldman cut about 30% of their IBD staff in Singapore (don't let 30% fool you...30% of IBD staff in Singapore equates to only about 15 people) and I think a few other banks did too. Goldman has about 800+ staff in Singapore of which 300+ are in FO roles (and majority of which are in S&T). It's just a function of the cyclical nature of the business. Overall, the markets are still holding up well...i.e. the cuts were made only because of recent business conditions in SEA. Will they pick up again in future? Of course.