Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Department of Statistics
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sounds to me more like you have too high expectations rather than Statistician pay isn't good. If you can make 85k basic + 2-3 mth bonus means total annual package already 100k+ for just 8 years exp.

Dun always compare to jobs like investment banker, lawyer, oil trader etc. Look around you and see if there are many accountants, engineers, marketer, programmer etc. that can make 100k in just 8 years. You are definitely above average already.
I have couple of people in the same graduating cohort of 2005 (bachelor hons) who are working in DOS earning 75k basic+(4-5 mths).

My advise to those people who aspire to work as a statistician, to work in public service
rather than in private sectors. Your "Expected" pay off is definitely higher , not to mention that you need to bear the opportunity cost of doing a post-grad deg to be qualified to work in reputable MNCs as a Statistician. Furthermore, accounting for the work-life balance and the job stability, it is clear to see public sector is a better for to work as a statistician.

At my age, earning 85k basic per annum given that I have a bach(1st class honors), and Master deg (with high distinction) with 8 yrs of working exp, I am just the "average", not above average. I dare to say among those armed with just good honors deg working in public service at my age is doing above me (Their annual package).

Compare apples with apples, oranges with oranges.