Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Department of Statistics
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Unregistered

Default 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi i'm wondering if anyone knows more about the professional scheme for statistician? Care to share?
Statistician? Do you have post-grad degree (Masters or above)? If you only have a bachelor deg, just farm it out in the civil service. A Statistician in private sector requires at least a post grad deg.

Generally speaking. Working as a statistician in private sector does not make you a lot of money. I have 8 yrs of working experience with Masters from local university ( u can guess which one easily), drawing only 85k per annum excluding bonus from MNCs.(2-3 avg). Most of my peers (Master in Statistics) are not working as a Statistician.

But the good thing about studying statistics is that your skills are easily transferable.
You can venture into becoming a market researcher, data analyst, risk analyst , actuarial science, underwriter and growing trends is to becoming a data scientist (PHDs). These jobs are the higher paying ones.

I dare to say Statistics will be a hot degree in the next 5 years with "the world of BIG DATA"