Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 18-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

I don't know what you expect us to say when you said "Gosh his boss even had the goddamn guts to tell him if his skin was white he would be earning 5 times as much as he was now".

This affected all of us. That's why the industries moved out to south east Asia and other parts of the world where labour costs were lower. Many jobs were outsourced from the US and Europe to us. We, the dark skin, yellow skin and brown skin are doing the jobs of white skins for much lower pay. But I think we shouldn't complain but be thankful instead. Now this phenomenon is happening to us too as our labour costs go up.

Back then our salaries were lower, but then cost of things were lower also, just like they are now in 3rd world countries where our industries are now moving to.

Now we have a new problem. In addition to seeing industries moving out to 3rd world countries, jobs being outsourced, we also see influx of foreigners coming in to work for lower pay.

We, not just the country, but as individuals have to upgrade or die poor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Reading this thread I honestly dont know what to feel. People here are making so much money in a such a short span of time. My dad has worked in the petrochemical industry for about more than 20 years. He sort of designs and builds oil refineries in Jurong Island for a living. He earned 130k last year with bonus and TONS of overtime. He basically runs the whole show in the refinery he is in even though he is not at the top. I would say we are living comfortably, 5 room flat, car and he can even afford to send us to a cushy independent school (RI,ACSI).
Yes he was from India, yes his degree was from an Indian University but I dont understand why he is paid this little, if I ASSUME what is in this thread in true. I think he is getting ripped off for all the hard work he puts in. (He goes to work at 7 and comes back only at 8). Gosh his boss even had the goddamn guts to tell him if his skin was white he would be earning 5 times as much as he was now. I honestly feel like crap for my dad now.

FYI: He was born a singaporean citizen but my grandfather decided it would be best to let my father and uncle study in India staying with my grandma while he worked in singapore, since he couldnt afford it.