Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 16-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
agree with most of your points, although I don't totally buy theory of politicians being paid higher if they left the civil service. Just a few other points:
- the argument of 'selflessness', 'altruism' does not hold any more. Ever since our ministers start collecting million dollar packages for questionable performances, it is difficult to ask everyone in the civil service to take a lower package while the leaders do otherwise.
- you think someone like WKS or even MBT is worth a lot in the private sector? If you are talking about the surgeons, bankers, lawyers, maybe I buy it. But not all of them are necessarily worth a lot in the private sector. I would even venture to say that they have to take huge pay cut if they leave the government service.
Yeah, I know the civil service is evolving. And to be honest, I'm saddened that it's no longer seen as a calling, or something that's bigger than oneself. It's largely transactional.

I personally believe it's an unfortunate outcome of the import of corporate sector "best practices" to make the civil service more efficient. For the most part, these best practices do indeed improve productivity and efficiency. But the downside is this passion for compensation among employees, which I think is bad for the public sector. I mean you can't provide some public goods well like defence, education and health if you apply a strictly business HR approach. The attrition rate within these ministries is quite high, and no amount of $ will fix it.

I said most politicians would do well outside, not all. I know MBT was a government scholar who headed SBS when he was in his 30s. Who's to say he wouldnt have become SMRT's head, earning a million and a quarter a year? As for WKS, he's old guard, suppose things were different then.

Anyway, I see your point, but this debate will go on forever, which isn't the purpose of this thread.

I think my larger point is salary is important, but I think there's more to life, and not just outside work, but in work too. You need to find satisfaction in other things. And I'd like to think that for civil servants, satisfaction comes from helping make your fellow citizen's life better and more comfortable, regardless in what area, directly or indirectly.

But of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Just hoping to provide a balance here.