Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Corp Comms and PR people pls come in
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One of the main problems facing IR industry as a whole is that people who are good in Finance and Business Analytics generally move on to greener pastures in Finance or Strategy related department while those who are good in PR and Coms works generally move on to Marketing department.

The main problem is a percieved lack of prestige and career opportunities. IR in most companies is still seen as a niusance to have around to keep those pesky research analyst and investors at bay. It's like a vicious cycle, the good ones leave, left with the mediocre ones that create a sub par environment which in turn encourage people with potential to leave. The giant MNCs are half decent, but the situation is really bad among mid/small MNCs, local companies and GLC.

I'm generalizing here as I'm sure there are a few good IR people around, but by and large this industry is in a very limbo state with pockets of good companies here & there. If someone is starting career fresh from school, my advice is to go to the marcom side of things first and perhaps do a short stint of a few years somewhere middle of the career if you really are interested.
Reason is simple. If one is really that good with strategy or financial matters, why stay in IR when so many opportunities in management consultancies or banking? Can get paid 2-3x more than staying...