Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Market Analyst
Thread: Market Analyst
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Verified Member

bookwormm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Unfortunately that’s not good enough. There is a big difference between the 3 giants (Exxon, Shell, Chevron) compared to the rest of the crowd like Schlumberger, BP, Connoco, Hess, Baker Hughes, BG, Total etc. which are quite big on their own. The 3 big giants are industry gold standards - they have the capability to maintain training & development budgets, pay out big bonuses and increments no matter what’s the situation, the rest as far as my industry peers tell me is more or less cutting cost like nobody business now.

As for your explanation that they are doing things last minute and ad-hoc because they value your VBA or SQL knowledge, I will have to respectfully disagree. IMO people with such basic common computing language are dime in a dozen in Singapore, it is unlikely that they will be so impressed with this kind of skills to conduct the whole interview process in this rushed manner.

Nevertheless, just down and take a look but be weary of pitfalls (3k+ for grads is nothing in this industry, so shouldn't be a prob). Rule of thumb is if during the interview all they care is when you can start and how much you want with very lax assessment criteria, then this is likely not a job that you can develop and gain meaningful experience. Good jobs are usually hard fought, if it comes so easily that it is more like they selling you rather than the other way round, usually is red flag unless you are really that good.
Thank you for filling me in on the industrial standards which I clearly am not aware of (even though I am still in awe after stepping into their office)! Regardless, I have to agree that those qualities are basic indeed and based on that I deserve no special treatment over my peers.

During the interview earlier, topics covered was nothing formal and it even went slightly personal at times. I am guessing perhaps I did not fare well enough in order for the interviewer to move on to those topics; since the interviewer commented, towards the end, that my cv looks better than the stack but my lack in confidence was questioned. I supposed that was derived by the question I was asked, "if I were to offer you a position in trading, will you take it up?" Naturally, as much as I would love to, I feel that my foundations are not ready for me to take on such a role since I understand the importance and risk of it. Perhaps I might have over-mentioned how I prefer to be prepared in order to minimize risk that made the interviewer feel that way?

Nevertheless, none of the expected scenario came up and I was told, without me asking, that the processing time will take around 1 month and I will receive a phone call then. Nothing about salary or starting date was prompted. It feels as if I have shot myself in the foot from some of the things I have mentioned during the session but nonetheless I must move on, time to send out more applications that is. Good experience/ reminder despite probably missing a good opportunity.

Last edited by bookwormm; 06-04-2015 at 11:27 PM.