Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman1 View Post
You dont get my point at all. Every year the number of Engineeering graduates churned out by the 3 or 4 local universities are around 3, 4 times more than Finance/Biz graduates, so most Companies hire Engineers in huge numbers compared to more selective hiring of Banking/ Finance graduates in the Financial sector, so do you think they can afford to pay much higher salaries to Engineers? The companies will sink under the high overheads.

It is the nature of the Engineering profession. So to those Engineers in this forum who are complaining about low pay after years and years of slogging, either be contented with a lower but stable pay or switch to industries where skill sets are rarer such as the Banking/Finance and are better rewarded. Or you can go into sales/front office roles where you will be rewarded for bring in revenues.

I also want to correct some of the comments posted here: The Acct/Banking/Finance sector dont hire stupid people. You dont find stupid or so-so people making lots of money there. If you have no brains, you will not survive, much less make big bucks there. Top earners in Finance sector such as Derivative traders/ Product Controllers/Private Bankers are not only straight A graders but also individuals with high EQ/IQ. You know what I mean when you talk to one.
I agree. Some of my friends in the banking sector - investment banking. The way they handle things, you can tell they are so different, so driven and intellectual (EQ/IQ) person than a normal dude.