Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Internship at SME VS Start-up
View Single Post
Old 19-03-2015, 10:25 AM

yourplaceormine is on a distinguished road
Default Internship at SME VS Start-up

I'm a 2nd year majoring in finance, and I have 2 unconfirmed opportunities for an internship this summer. One is at a data analytics SME, where I will be doing research and learning some finance related things along the way, like modelling etc. The other would be at a start-up/young company, >3 years old as a business development intern, mainly doing marketing/sales/operations.

The SME would no doubt be something that would be more relevant to me as a finance student, however the start-up would probably give me more experience in terms of entrepreneurship if i were to start up my own business in the future. In terms of working environment (people,culture,fit), the start-up easily trumps the SME. The SME also pays really lowly and has a 5.5 day workweek.

So i guess my question is whether it would be worth passing on the opportunity to work at data analytics SME with a finance related internship which would probably give me finance related experience or an advantage to work in a start-up with not at all related to finance but possibly getting a more enjoyable experience out of it?

Also, not sure if its related but if i were to pursue finance in the future i'd prefer the PE/VC field. I may also decide to start my own company, but that would be after a few years of working experience.

Thanks!