Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - how to become an university lecturer
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Verified Member

mrleafeon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. You applied for NIE Bachelor of Education right? Meaning you are either from poly or JC, am I right?

2. A post-graduate diploma in education(PGDE) is something people that do not have a first degree in education take. Meaning, if I major in economics in NTU, then I want to go into teaching in government schools(pri, sec, JC), then I will need to go to NIE to take the PGDE, a 1-year course, before being eligible to teach.

3. Those who go direct into NIE from JC or poly are majoring in education, they dont take the PGDE. They take the 4 year degree with NIE and straight away teach.

4. You cannot teach in JC unless you have already obtained your first degree not from NIE. Meaning, if I want to teach chemistry in JC, I would need a chemistry degree first from NUS/NTU, and then go on to take a 1-year post-graduate diploma in education from NIE. If your first degree was from NIE, you will not be able to teach in JC. There are a few but its rare. This is because the JC syllabus is pretty advanced and they need someone who actually graduated in the field of which they are teaching. Meaning, only people who take route (2) can teach in JC, but you are now in route (3).

5. If you want to be a university lecturer, you need a Phd. So lets say I want to be an engineering lecturer. I must take my degree in engineering, then take my masters in engineering, then take my Phd in engineering. University lecturers are not from NIE/MOE lol. They are professionals in their fields. So a chemistry lecturer is a chemist, an economics lecturer is an economist.

6. If you want to be a university lecturer, you still can, but you will be a lecturer in NIE, meaning you will teach about education. This will require a similar route to (5), meaning that you will take a Bachelor of Education, followed by a Masters in Education then a Phd in Education.
Thanks a lot. Nobody tells me this though. Okay i see now. I have applied to bachelor of sc (education), instead i should have applied for chemistry i wanna become a chemi lecturer in singapore, i have no idea that if i study chemi in malaysia, can i take the postdiploma degree in nie? How to apply for nie?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app