Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 PM

Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is it possible that a stats board have vacancies but do not have money to hire first class hons grad?

I am expecting to grad with a fch, have relevant internship experience in both private and public sector. I even won some competition which is relevant to the position. I am also getting shortlisted for positions from other ministries/sb even though I am not directly trained in those area.

However, this particular sb which is directly related to what I am studying (the position requires specialize knowledge) simply refuse to shortlist me. This is also the case for one of my friend who is expecting a first class hons as well. On the other hand, some of the second upper from my cohort are getting shortlisted.

So im suspecting the sb is too poor to hire fch. Could this really be the case? Or are there any other criterias that HR look at apart from academic qualification, internship exp and competitions? I don't think CCA is a factor as the HR manager told me they are not important since they are looking for people with the technical skills.
Hmm maybe that particular head of the dept is looking for an all-rounder? You may have the grades and internship experience but it does not necessarily translates to soft skills which are equally important as well, like interpersonal communications, high EQ level, working well in a team, cultivating relationships with stakeholders, how you handle problematic issues, etc. Usually first class honors grads have the intelligence but lack wisdom in life. On the contrary, second upper grads may not be as smart as you, but has "experienced" life outside the classroom, and thus they are much wiser because of their many life experiences. Unfortunately, it's really wisdom that gets you far in life, intelligence not so much.

Does HR manager's opinion even matter that much? It's not even HR who ultimately decides the candidate, unless you are applying to the dept. HR simply just serve as an advisor to the hiring manager, giving their input to help the manager choose the best candidate. In the end it is up to the hiring manager to decide for themselves what kind of candidates they are looking for.