Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Unregistered

Default Setting the Records Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just out of curiosity, for those IT positions, where will the work place be at? I read different positions work place are at different sites.

Thanks for the clarification!
Hi guys,
I find this forum thread discussion very interesting and a little amusing. But allow me to say a few things. I find that the responses given have thus far little or no representation from mindef (which i still term it as the "organisation" hereforth) and hence we should not take everything that was discussed as the rule of thumb/law, but with a pinch of salt. All I can say is, the organisation does take in people from across all universities and experience. Perhaps the NSF working in a particular dept has a particular taste or biases for certain qualifications; but truly, the organisation does look into other universities. And I dare say the job you are applying with us, will, to a large extent, depends on the boss taking you in. Sure, the mgmt might favour someone from the Ivy League unis (if they can ever find one), but no one should and can stop you from applyying even if you are from a "perceivably-inferior" universities but have a good range of experience. Mgmt does look into your application holistically.

How I know? I am talking from experience. I myself am hired straight off from the streets, so to speak. I come from one of the G8 unis but possessed a healthy dose of experience. I was offered the job in no less than 2 weeks (including psychometric + interview). Also, we should not discriminate against 2nd or 3rd tier universities, or feel discouraged if you come from these groups. I have personally met scholar(s) from within the organisation coming from these group for their first degree!

IT positions are generally held in either CMPB or MINDEF, very much dependent on the exact nature of IT you are filling. It could either be purely technical or policy related ones.

Again, do not speculate. If you believe in yourself and your experience, apply. The organisation does not discriminate; although I must admit applications we receive do sometimes can be overwhelming.