Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Trader job
Thread: Trader job
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Millionaire Member

hnnbllctr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think you will need to provide a bit more context on your performance. 50% ROI over 2 years can be achieved with just a 1 or 2 correct directional bets on movements of <100 pips with enough leverage.

Unless there is some sort of consistency and rigouristy in your trading plan and risk control, I doubt these sort of numbers over such a short period of time is going to impress any hirer. There are many people who can trade leveraged forex and achieve much more anyway over specific periods.

Most type of trading is a closed end old boy's network, you will probably not get any offer unless you have a shifu to bring you in. Trading a lot of times is more about connections in a sales & marketing environment in the professional world then it is about specific technical or fundamental analysis technique.
Yep. Previous poster is correct. Such returns on a levered basis over the short term doesn't count for anything. You will need to be able to show credibility in terms of consistency in engagement and risk control over a long period of time for anyone to let you take any serious risk.

Believe it or not, the trading circle still operates in the old world of apprenticeship where you start out at the bottom and learn from your mentor. With the tight regulatory environment and push towards electronic trading, good old school traders are a dying breed. If you can get yourself in the door and have the opportunity to work with one, you will learn a lot but such opportunities are very hard to come by these days.

Just having knowledge of technical or fundamental analysis doesn't count. Anyone can learn these off textbooks or reading. People need to be convinced you have a long term track record of making money through trading for them to let you take risk to help them make money. I know the logic is circular but that's the way it has always been in the business.