Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Trader job
Thread: Trader job
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptybottle View Post
Hi guys, I'm a local uni Accountancy undergrad. I have been trading leveraged forex for over 2 years, with about 50% ROI. I am keen to work as a trader, but with my 2nd lower honours, I guess banks/major financial institutions are out of the picture?

I am familiar with technical analysis and fundamental analysis in FX. I'm wondering how much does this kind of trading experience helps in looking for a job as a trader? And if banks/major FI are out of the question, what are the next best companies/industries that I could try applying for a trading job? Doesn't necessarily has to be trading in FX since technical analysis is the transferable to other financial instruments, and doesn't have to be trading for speculative purposes. I know for one BP has a trading department and I have applied for an internship there recently, but not hopeful at all given my GPA.

Any bros out there working or worked as a trader can advise?
I think you will need to provide a bit more context on your performance. 50% ROI over 2 years can be achieved with just a 1 or 2 correct directional bets on movements of <100 pips with enough leverage.

Unless there is some sort of consistency and rigouristy in your trading plan and risk control, I doubt these sort of numbers over such a short period of time is going to impress any hirer. There are many people who can trade leveraged forex and achieve much more anyway over specific periods.

Most type of trading is a closed end old boy's network, you will probably not get any offer unless you have a shifu to bring you in. Trading a lot of times is more about connections in a sales & marketing environment in the professional world then it is about specific technical or fundamental analysis technique.